Based in New York and London, Commercial Type is a joint venture between Paul Barnes and Christian Schwartz, who have collaborated since 2004 on various typeface projects, most notably the award winning Guardian Egyptian. The company publishes retail fonts developed by Barnes and Schwartz, their staff, and outside collaborators, and also represents the two and their team when they work together on type design projects.
Following the redesign of The Guardian, the team headed by Mark Porter, including Barnes and Schwartz, was awarded the coveted Black Pencil by the D&AD. The team was also nominated for the Design Museum’s “Designer of the Year” prize. In September 2006, Barnes and Schwartz were named two of the 40 most influential designers under 40 in Wallpaper*.
Commercial Type is
Commercial Type has published typefaces by
Commercial Type has worked with
- Jack Curry, specimen design
- GrayBits, web development
- Julius Hui, Chinese type design
- Abi Huynh, graphic design
- Kat JK Lee, copywriter
- Tal Leming, font development
- Ben Kiel, type design
- Wael Morcos, microsites design
- Rachel Pidcock, tour manager
- Project Projects, web design
- Rumors, web design